Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony Marks Opening of New Champion Site
The Chino Valley Champion had an open house and a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday to mark the opening of its new site at 13617 12th St., Unit B. More than 100 locals came out to celebrate.
The ceremony was officiated by representatives of the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce, who emphasized that Richard Gird launched the Champion as the region’s first company.
135 Years of Publishing: The Chino Valley Champion’s History
Editor John Wasson introduced the Chino Valley Champion in the first issue, published on November 11, 1887. It will remain in place.
For 135 years, The Champion has been published without interruption.
“May you continue for another 100 years,” Chino Mayor Eunice Ulloa said to Champion staff members and owner Will Fleet.
Peter Rogers, the mayor of Chino Hills, stated that the Champion plays a critical role in the community by disseminating news and information.
He noted that most localities still need such a lucky local communication tool.
After purchasing the Champion on October 1, 1956, the late Allen McCombs sold it to Mr. Fleet in 2017.
The Chino Valley Champion is the oldest company in Chino and the first newspaper with the same name to publish in San Bernardino County.
According to Zeb Welborn, president of the Chamber, The Champion is also the only original member of the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce (joined July 25, 1913) that is still a member today.
The Chamber, neighborhood residents, and community leaders who came to the grand opening were thanked by Mr. Fleet, a Chamber board member who has carried on the tradition.
Following the presentation, locals were given tours of the office and fed by the Chino restaurant Las Brisas.
Peter Joseph, an insurance agent from Chino Hills, won the drawing held by the Champion to get four complimentary quarter-page advertising for $3,000 in value.
Visitors admired the pictures of Richard Gird and Mr. McCombs side by side on the newsroom wall, as well as the framed first issue of the Champion from November 11, 1887, the old Champion office buildings in black and white, and the articulated “001” business license from the City of Chino Hills.
When Chino Hills was incorporated in 1991, Mr. McCombs wanted the Champion to get the city’s first business license.
Overview of Champion Newspapers
A respected neighborhood newspaper published by Champion Newspapers serves the Southern California region of Chino Valley. Every Saturday morning, carriers and mailers deliver The Chino Valley Champion to subscribers and others, reaching thousands of homes throughout the valley.
Additionally, copies can be purchased at shops and newsstands across the Chino Valley. Richard Gird founded the City of Chino and the Champion on November 11, 1887. The Champion is a full-featured, multiple-award-winning “NEWS” paper. It is not a non-subscriber or advertising shopper product of another newspaper.
It provides all the LOCAL news you might expect to read about in a neighborhood paper. The publication includes the latest news about:
You can also explore featured articles about neighborhood residents and neighborhood advertising.
Legal Recognition and Circulation of the Champion
The Champion is a recognized general circulation newspaper that publishes legal notices for the Chino Valley Unified School District, the cities of Chino and Chino Hills, the county of San Bernardino, and nearby businesses (County Court Decree Number 73453, issued August 5, 1952).
This publication has a combined total net circulation of 20,020. Over 45,000 readers are predicted to consume adult content online and in print each week.
The Champion is the city of Chino and Chino Hills’s longest-running enterprise.
The Chino Valley Champion marked its 135th anniversary by opening its new location at 13617 12th St., Unit B, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony. Members of the local community and representatives of the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce attended the event.